Staff Scientist, Oceanographic Observing – [C]Worthy
[C]Worthy is a non-profit research organization building the first open-source software and analytics tools designed to enable trustworthy, transparent, science-based quantification of ocean-based carbon dioxide removal (CDR). We are working to help the growing marine carbon dioxide removal (mCDR) industry make safe and effective long-term contributions to climate change mitigation. The [C]Worthy research and development team blends exceptional software engineering with deep expertise in oceanographic observations, modeling, and data assimilation. [C]Worthy is on the path to becoming a Focused Research Organization hosted by Convergent Research.
[C]Worthy seeks a Staff Scientist to work on conducting tracer release experiments and obtaining observations that could be used to calibrate and validate ocean models. The Staff Scientist will work as a member of a team building modeling and data-integration tools oriented towards supporting mCDR applications. The Staff Scientist will be responsible for designing and implementing field experiments designed to measure gas transfer velocities and ocean currents. The Staff Scientist will report to [C]worthy’s Director of Science and participate in building an inclusive, supportive, and highly collaborative work culture.
- Design and construct new analytical instruments.
- Design and implement tracer release experiments.
- Maintain field and laboratory equipment.
- Participate in fieldwork; performing measurements in the lab and field.
- Act as a liaison with the modeling team to incorporate data into the models.
- An M.S. or Ph.D. in a scientific discipline related to oceanography, chemistry, physics, or other environmental science.
- Significant laboratory and field experience, especially involving the collection of oceanographic observations using standard instruments (e.g., TSG, CTD) and gas chromatographs.
- Expertise in scientific programming languages, including Python, MATLAB, and LabVIEW.
- Experience working with large climate and oceanographic datasets.
- Experience with data analysis, statistical modeling, data visualization, and communication of scientific results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to engage effectively with the internal team.
- Possesses a tenacious and adaptive problem-solving capacity.
- Passion for [C]Worthy’s mission.
- Deeply curious and excited to learn new things.
- Intent on getting answers right.
- Open to admitting mistakes.
- Collaborative, helpful, open-minded, and willing to listen to other perspectives.
- Experience with advanced statistical methods, data assimilation, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning.
- Competitive salary: $104,000–$125,000 a year
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Wellness benefit
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts for health care or childcare
- 401(k) retirement fund with matching employer contributions.
- [C]Worthy is based in Boulder, Colorado, and seeks to build a strong collaborative team. We prefer that employees spend significant time working together in person in our Boulder office, however approval for remote or hybrid work is possible.
Convergent Research aims to help fill a structural gap in today’s R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
Convergent Research, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.