Scientist – IFREMER
Scientist – Remote sensing of the ocean surface
In the frame of the satellite french/chinese CFOSAT mission, carrying two sensors dedicated to wind and wave measurements, Ifremer is developing in partnership with CNES a dedicated processing and data dissemination center for delayed mode wind and wave products (IWWOC centre, Ifremer Wind and Wave Operational Center). To support this activity, we hire for a first 18 months temporary position a scientist with expertise in the field of air/sea interactions remote sensing with radar techniques.
The position is in the company ODL (www.oceandatalab.com), the scientist will work mainly in the Physical and Space Oceanography Laboratory at IFREMER (www.umr-lops.fr).
A follow-on to this position, either through a new temporary or a permanent position at Ifremer or ODL is foreseen and will be sought after, though it is not yet secured at this stage.
Main duties and responsabilities
The successful candidate will perform the following activities:
- set-up and testing of algorithms dedicated to scatterometer data interpretation in order to estimate the wind vector at the ocean surface, and analyze of their dependency on particular conditions at the air/sea interface.
- definition of scientific products combining measurements of both wind and wave sensors
- preparation of calibration / validation activities for after the satellite launch
- writing of documents related to the above activities
The work will imply strong interactions with IFREMER, ODL, CNES (Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales), and KNMI (Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut) teams working within the CFOSAT project. The innovative nature of the project is in phase with a stimulating scientific context.
Qualifications and experience required
- PhD in the field of ocean surface remote sensing by means of radar techniques with experience in evaluating interactions between atmosphere and ocean, or engineer with similar experience
- Good programming and scripting skills, Fortran 90 and Matlab / Python, and Linux
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills using applied mathematics
Start of the position: September 1st 2017
The recruiting company is OceanDataLab, but the applicant will be working in Ifremer/LOPS premises. The application point of contact is (cfosat_scat_position oceandatalab.com).
The scientific leader and coordinator of this activity is Yves Quilfen (Ifremer, email@example.com). Please address to him any questions about the scientific details of the planned activity.
The CFOSAT/IWWOC center project manager is Jean-François Piollé (Ifremer, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please send your application together with a CV to email@example.com, cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
Leave a Reply