Science Communication Internship – ASLO
ASLO is pleased to announce the 2016 ASLO Science Communication Internship. The internship will provide exposure to the many forms of science communication over a 14-week period beginning in September 2016 in the Washington, D.C. area. This is a paid internship and carries a stipend of $6000. The internship is available to current or recent graduate students in the aquatic sciences. Selection criteria include demonstrated interest in one or more aspects of science communication, strong communications skills, and excellent academic record.
The successful applicant will work closely with ASLO Director of Communications and Science Adrienne Sponberg to develop a learning plan, identify and complete a signature project within their specific area of interest. They will also participate in a wide variety of communication projects in the areas of Policy, Education, and Public Outreach for a first hand look at how science is communicated to a variety of audiences.
- Policy. Get a first-hand look at how policy is formulated in the U.S. during the Geosciences Congressional Visits Day and by attending hearings and briefings on Capitol Hill.
- Education and Outreach. Learn more about aquatic science education and outreach by participating with ASLO’s committees, the COSEE Consortium and the Consortium of Aquatic Science Societies. Hone science writing skills by preparing material for ASLO’s social media channels.
Travel Funds. The intern will be assisting with the organization of events for the 2017 Aquatic Sciences Meeting (February 2017, Honolulu, HI). While the conference takes place after the conclusion of the internship, travel funds for the intern to attend will be available.
Application for the ASLO Science Communication Internship
Eligibility: This internship is available to current or recent graduate students in the aquatic sciences. Applicants from outside the US are eligible to apply but are responsible for obtaining appropriate documentation.
Timing: The internship will begin in mid-September and last 14 weeks.
Applications: To apply for the ASLO Science Communication Internship, please submit the following via email to Adrienne Sponberg, ASLO Director of Communications and Science, at email@example.com. Applications must be received by midnight EST, June 10, 2016.
- Cover letter (2 pages max) stating your communication interests and what you feel you can contribute to ASLO’s Policy, Education, and Outreach programs.
- Resume including a list of relevant coursework.
- A letter of support from an academic advisor or other mentor (sent directly by the reference to Sponberg@aslo.org)
Questions about the internship should be sent to Adrienne Sponberg, ASLO Director of Communications and Science, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Potential applicants may want to read the interview with ASLO’s inaugural Science Communication Intern, Kelsey Ellis, in the L&O Bulletin http://bit.ly/1YaP9zE.