At the Geophysical Institute and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, there is a vacancy for a permanent position as a Researcher in marine Earth system modelling.
The position is affiliated to externally financed projects. The first 30 months, the position is financed by the RCN project “Infrastructure for Norwegian Earth System modelling (INES)”.
About the project/work tasks:
- Upgrades and maintenance of the ocean modules (ocean biogeochemistry, ocean physics) of the Norwegian Earth system model NorESM
- Support for effective operation and use of the infrastructure
- Modelling support in the education of students
- Help in community runs with NorESM
- Evaluation of Earth system model results and implementation of respective software packages
- Publication of results in the peer-reviewed literature
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within oceanography, meteorology, physics, mathematics, Earth sciences (or related fields), or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience from numerical modelling within the Earth system is a requirement.
- Excellent skills in programming and visualisation of numerical modelling results are required.
- Knowledge of oceanography (biogeochemistry, physics) is required.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others including students.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English.
- Documentation of the ability to attract external research funding is highly desirable.
- Experience with high performance computing and mass data storage is highly desirable.
In assessing the candidates, a review of both the quality and the breadth of the candidate’s research will be conducted. Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized.
Special requirements for the position: The position requires work on improving and maintaining the infrastructure for Earth system modelling at the University of Bergen and in Norway in cooperation with the other members of this community.
The position is based on the following terms:
- The researcher will be a member of the research group in which the subject area of the position belongs.
- Salary expenses should as far as possible be 100 % externally financed.
- The researcher will actively contribute to obtaining external project funding for the academic community, to both themselves and others, from The Research Council of Norway, the EU as well as other sources.
- The research activity is expected to be funded by the projects the researcher, and the research group, are working on.
- The head of department may instruct the researcher to work towards specific research projects.
- The researcher may partake in duties, participate in committees etc. within the UiB.
- The researcher is normally not obliged to teach, but is expected to partake in the supervision of masters- and PhD-students, to the extent that this is a natural part of the work in research group.
- The researcher can apply for competence promotion in accordance with the rules for promotion.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 59 (code 1109 / pay range 24, alternative 3) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 515 200. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW).
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge