Researcher/Ocean modeller – Finnish Meteorological Institute
Description of the post/job
The Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) is a service and research institute that produces high-quality observational data and research findings on the atmosphere, the near space and the seas. The Institute uses its expertise to provide services that promote public safety and enhance well-being among people and in the environment.
FMI is seeking a researcher for a fixed time contract at FMIs Marine Research Unit. The successful candidate will work in the Marine Dynamics group with main duties in the Copernicus Marine Service Baltic Sea Monitoring and Forecasting Center (CMEMS BALMFC). The main tasks include development and validation of the NEMO ocean model for the Baltic Sea with the aim of improving the CMEMS BALMFC service. Expected model developments include improvements to model bathymetry, mixing parameterizations, wave coupling and data assimilation.
Our expectations of the applicant
Candidates with a Ph.D. degree in relevant fields (e.g. physical oceanography, meteorology, physics or applied mathematics) will be considered. Furthermore, a successful candidate must meet the following essential criteria:
• Strong background in physical oceanography
• Skilled at numerical modelling
• Good publication record
• Fluency in written and spoken English, and willingness to work internationally
• Ability to carry out independent research as well as work as part of a team
Other desirable qualifications are
• Good knowledge of oceanographic forecast systems
• Good communication and interaction skills
• Experience in the NEMO model
• Programming and data analysis skills with Python and Fortran