Postdoctoral Scholar – Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Conduct analysis of a dense 3D dataset of moorings and tows resolving hydraulically controlled flows, breaking internal waves, turbulent mixing and other processes in the Samoan Passage, a constriction in the abyssal Pacific Ocean.
Analysis will involve some data quality control, numerical model analysis and possibly some numerical modeling using MITgcm, depending on the candidate’s experience, interest and qualifications.
Qualifications Required and Preferred Academic Background:
- Applicants should have 0-2 years of Postdoctoral experience, or be nearing completion of their Ph.D. (estimated within 3 months), and be self-motivated and hard-working.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to produce scientific publications and presentations and meet project milestones are required.
- Strong analytical background with a Ph.D. in physical oceanography or a related field.
- Programming experience working in scripting languages such as Python, Perl, R and Matlab is highly desired.
- Experience with moored and/or towed shipboard data and numerical models such as MITgcm is desired.
Please contact Professor Matthew Alford
via email at email@example.com
with a CV including a list of any publications, a personal statement of the candidate’s experience and career goals, and the names and email contact information for three references.
Initial appointment is for one year, with extension possible contingent upon candidate eligibility, performance, and eligibility of funding. Position open until filled, with preference to applications received by December 1st, 2017.