Postdoctoral research position – Aquatic Physics Laboratory (APHYS) at the Institute of Environmental Engineering of EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland)
Postdoctoral research position at APHYS, ENAC-EPFL on microstructure and turbulence in lakes
The Aquatic Physics Laboratory (APHYS) at the Institute of Environmental Engineering of EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland) in collaboration with the Limnology Center has an opening of an early‐career postdoc position on microstructure and turbulence in the context of primary production in stratified lakes.
In collaboration with partners at Eawag, the Universities of Geneva and Lausanne and INRA Thonon‐les‐Bains and other researchers (www.unil.ch/lexplore) we started an interdisciplinary project on estimating and modelling primary production. To strengthen the team, we look for a postdoc with competence and experience in measuring, interpreting and modelling turbulence in stratified natural waters. We also expect background in data analysis, profound knowledge in freshwater sciences and fieldwork experience.
The applicant’s main responsibility will be the acquisition and analysis of data relevant to fluxes related to the primary production project and, in particular, to the handling of our VMP‐500 microstructure profiler (www.rocklandscientific.com/), which can be operated from the newly‐built LéXPLORE Research Platform(www.unil.ch/lexplore). This infrastructure enables in‐situ measurements at unprecedented frequencies and allows a better linkage between lake‐internal ecosystem processes and large‐scale forcing (visit APHYS website: www.epfl.ch/labs/aphys/). Your readiness to collaborate with related partners (see above) is important. This position is meant for at least 1.5 years, for a candidate who looks for a career in aquatic sciences.
- PhD in physics, aquatic or atmospheric sciences, environmental engineering
- Experience in measurements with microstructure sensors
- research interest and background in aquatic physics, modelling and large data sets
- Excellent communication skills
- Willing to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Demonstrated interest in a scientific career including quality publications
- Excellent knowledge of English (French is of additional advantage).
- Build‐up of competencies on platform‐based turbulence measurements
- Collaboration and joint publications with the primary production project partners in an interdisciplinary environment; collaboration with the current postdoc Bieito Fernández until his departure in August 2020 (www.epfl.ch/labs/aphys/)
- Supervision of Masters students within projects.
Starting date: immediately, based on competitive application (position is open until filled; first interviews will start in February 2020).
Application: Applications should include (i) the CV, (ii) a motivation letter with a research outline and (iii) three contacts for references. Please, send your application as “one” pdf to email@example.com.
Leave a Reply