Postdoctoral Fellow – Oceanographic Data Scientist, USNW
Applications are sought for a Postdoctoral Fellow – Oceanographic Data Scientist in regional physical oceanography in the School of Mathematics and Statistics, UNSW Sydney.
About the role
- $91,743-$98,127 per annum plus (up to 17% superannuation and leave loading)
- ~ 2 years Fixed Term (to 30 June 2020).
The position is based will be based at the Coastal and Regional Oceanography group, within the School of Mathematics and Statistics in the Faculty of Science, UNSW Australia (www.oceanography.unsw.edu.au). We are a dynamic group of researchers, including academics, postdocs, technical staff and students conducting research focused on the East Australian Current and the dynamics of the continental shelf circulation along the coast of SE Australia.
The role involves contributing to the leadership of the NSW-IMOS oceanographic moorings sub-facility, responsibility for development of oceanographic data products (e.g climatologies, statistics, trends), data processing, quality control, data dissemination and real time display.
About the successful Applicant
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A PhD or equivalent experience in physical oceanography or physical data science related field.
- The ability to analyse and critically assess oceanographic data including QA/QC.
- Proficiency working with and organizing large geophysical datasets.
- Excellent programming ability, including proficiency in Matlab or Python, and NetCDF; and experience working in a Linux environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated capability in writing scientific and /or technical reports;
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team; demonstrated high level of self-motivation and ability to work independently.
Applicants may be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment to this role. You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online – applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
Moninya Roughan A/Prof School of Mathematics and Statistics
Applications close: 9 May 2018
Leave a Reply