Post-doctoral research fellow vacancy at GMU/COLA
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The George Mason University, Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Earth Sciences (AOES) and Center for Ocean-Land Atmosphere Studies (COLA) in the College of Science have an opening for a postdoctoral research fellowship. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourage candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The selected finalist will contribute to a research operation project funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) under the National Weather Service (NWS) initiative. The purpose of the project is to evaluate the impact of ocean resolution on the sub-seasonal to seasonal skill of extreme hydrological events and surface air temperature over CONUS. The successful candidate will use a coupled atmosphere, ocean and sea ice model to conduct high-resolution sub-seasonal forecasts and evaluate the skill of forecasts following the operational requirements.
Other responsibilities include:
Collaborating with the NCEP’s Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) and Climate Prediction Center scientists in the design of numerical experiments and forecast evaluations; and
Manuscript preparation, revisions and publication.
- Candidates must have earned a doctorate in atmospheric sciences, climate dynamics, oceanography, or a closely related field prior to the first day of employment;
- Experience running a coupled general circulation model on high-performance computing systems; and
- Advanced programming skills including code development and shell scripting.
- Experience with the Modular Ocean Model (MOM) and FV3 Finite-Volume Cubed Sphere Dynamical Core;
- Writing and presentation skills as exemplified by publications and presentations record; and
- Experience in managing and processing large data sets.
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. This position is available for two years with the second-year subject to renewal upon performance and availability of funds. For full consideration apply by June 13, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.