Operational Ocean Modeller, National Research Foundation – Cape Town SA
The South African Environmental Observation Network (SAEON) is a research platform funded by the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and managed by the National Research Foundation (NRF) since 2002. SAEON is mandated to observe and research ecosystems on land, in coastal regions and the oceans to understand how those systems function and might change over time and space when influenced by socio-economic driving forces including climate change. We deliver our data online and offer tools, services and advice for informed environmental policy-making.
Operational Ocean Modeller
(Based in Cape Town) (6-month Contract)
The incumbent will be part of the development team of SOMISANA, which is a joint Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF) and SAEON initiative to implement an operational ocean forecast system for South Africa’s Exclusive Economic Zone.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Develop a high resolution forecast model of Algoa Bay and the surrounding shelf region.
- Evaluate the model results.
- Report on the results to DEFF, SAEON and relevant stakeholders.
- Develop a user-guide for the forecast system.
- A completed MSc qualification.
- At least 5 years’ experience in numerical modelling.
- A high level of proficiency in ROMS and Delft-3D is essential.
- Experience with matlab and/or python programming, Linux operating systems and using HPC infrastructure.
- Skilled in data analysis and particularly the assessment of ocean model datasets.
Applications should include a detailed Curriculum vitae, cover letter and contact details of at least three referees (upload as one document).
Closing date for receiving applications: 3 January 2020
SAEON is committed to employment equity and redress. SAEON reserves the right not to make an appointment to the position as advertised.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- analyse scientific research data
- liaise with other scientists
- develop a user-guide
- Assessment of ocean mode datasets
- Numerical modelling
- ROMS and Delft-3D software usage
- Data analysis
- Ocean forecast system for South Africa’s EEZ
About The Employer
The South African Environmental Observation Network (SAEON) is a research platform funded by the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and managed by the National Research Foundation (NRF) since 2002.
Leave a Reply