Oceanographic Systems Technician/Engineer – Woods Hole Group
The Oceanographic Systems Technician/Engineer focuses on the company’s real-time ocean current surveying systems. They take ownership of systems integration, systems development, operating and maintaining the real-time surveying systems, undertaking field operations, and providing operational support. This position is also be encouraged to support the company’s broader oceanographic measurement, monitoring, forecasting and analysis services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain real-time ocean current survey systems and ensure reliable systems operation.
- Deploy real-time ocean current survey systems aboard vessels of opportunity and autonomous vehicles.
- Liaise with our ocean forecasting analytical team and monitor real-time data to ensure that the systems continually provide reliable, operationally useful data.
- Undertake ongoing development and automation of the real-time current surveying systems instrumentation and satellite communications components and software.
- Participate in air-deployed marine drifter and beacon production and deployment operations.
- Ensure that all project operations are undertaken in compliance with Woods Hole Group Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) and quality management policies and communicate key technical and safety information to other operational personnel.
- Promote and maintain a strong HSE culture and document control system.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, absent undue hardship.
- Education to at least BS degree level in a marine science, computer science, or an automation / robotics discipline.
- Two to five (2 to 5) years of experience as an oceanographic instrumentation technician or engineer to include: data acquisition, satellite communications, coding, instrumentation integration, internet technologies, and field operations experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including working with Microsoft Office applications as well as Adobe, web systems, etc.
- Strong program development and coding skills in Python, Matlab and other software languages would be a benefit.
- Oceanographic field and shipyard operations experience would be beneficial.
- Experience working within a strongly HSE regulated operational industry is preferred.
- Full current, unrestricted Texas driving license.
- Valid certification for offshore oil and gas travel via helicopter and vessel would be beneficial, but training will be provided.
- Good organizational skills to manage, prioritize and execute a broad range of tasks. • Ability to travel without restriction when required.
- Ability and willingness to work in the field away from home when required.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team in addition to working independently on key tasks.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Team Lift 50-100 pounds
- Sit, twist, crawl, climb stairs/ ladders, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Lift 25-45 pounds
- Wear PPE for head, hands
Balance, stoop, kneel, squat, crouch, reach with hands and arms, and lift/carry objects, handle or feel.
- Differentiate between colors
- Operate a motor vehicle with a trailer
- Lift 10-20 pounds
- Standing and walking
- Wear PPE for body, vision, and hearing protection
- Close vision ability and ability to adjust focus
- Hearing all ranges
- Wear steel toed shoes/ boots
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverages with 80% employer contribution
- 401 (k) with up to 6% employer match
- STD, LTD, Life Insurance employer provided
- HSA, LPFSA, FSA, DCA
- Aflac coverages
- Generous time off polices
- Flexible and hybrid work schedules available
Woods Hole Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn more and apply: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=60b5c9be-d872-49ef-b9ab-77a5f323441b&ccId=9200655774365_2&lang=en_US&jobId=457012
Leave a Reply