Data and Modeling Lead – Running Tide
Running Tide is an ocean technology company built to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenge: climate change. We build cutting-edge solutions that integrate engineered and biological systems to remove CO2 from the atmosphere, restore ecosystems, and secure food systems. Our multidisciplinary team of world-class scientists, engineers, and maritime operators is working as fast as possible while the world is burning.
We’re looking for a Data and Modeling Lead to lead our Quantification team. This team of 2-3 people builds the computational system that integrates our own in situ data with fundamental ocean modeling. Quantification provides the feedback loop from experimentation into further innovation, while also being integral to the commercialization of our technology. Specific topics will include the modeling of nutrient and particle flows in ocean currents, as well as the dynamical characterization of biological growth. This mission critical role requires an energetic and organized analytical mind capable of balancing individual work while directing a small team. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. It can be executed remotely within the Northeastern United States, involving occasional travel to Portland, ME and routine collaboration with team members based in Portland, Boston, and New York City.
- Work closely within the R&D department to set project priorities.
- Motivate and help to plan data gathering experiments.
- Perform hands-on data analysis and modeling work to build sophisticated quantification capabilities at Running Tide.
- Work with software developers to guide programming design around the Quantification team’s needs.
- Direct and manage junior team members to support the team’s goals.
You Are (or You Have)
- Highly motivated to join a passionate team in the urgent fight against the climate crisis.
- A broad mathematical toolkit (especially statistics and dynamical systems) and the creativity to apply those tools to a variety of interdisciplinary problems.
- An undergraduate degree or greater in a technical field (math, physics, engineering, computer science).
- 5+ years of experience leading technical projects and teams in an industry setting.
- An empathetic and proactive leader and manager.
- Fluency with data analysis tools such as pandas (Python) or R.
- Ability to work independently and deeply on complex technical projects.
- An organized and efficient communicator.
- Motivated to build high-quality systems in a challenging and rapidly changing problem space.
- Comfort working quickly on the cutting edge and a willingness to “build the plane as you fly it”
- Familiarity with the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) environment.
- Working knowledge of remote sensing or geospatial datasets (NetCDF).
- Familiarity with the principles of Computer Vision.
- Knowledge of physical oceanography.
- Prior startup experience.
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do “more good” rather than “less bad” in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.
Leave a Reply