Do you love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you enjoy reading papers outside your chosen area of research? If the answer is ‘yes’ to any or all of these questions, you could be the person we’re looking for to join the editorial team of Nature Communications in either our London, New York or Shanghai office.
Nature Communications is the world’s leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a physical climate scientist who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in climate science. This could include, but is not limited to climate system dynamics, atmospheric science, or meteorology.
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within your speciality and the wider field of Earth science.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
The successful candidate will report to one our Earth science Team Manager within the Physical Sciences, and play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. They will handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. The ability to recommend well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
This role is located in either our London, New York or Shanghai office. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the respective country to be considered for the position. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (400 words or fewer) discussion of recent scientific developments that you they found particularly exciting (stating why).
Closing date: 9th September 2016
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.