Assistant Professor- Big Data Oceanographer – Louisiana State University
Job Description: The LSU Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences includes faculty with expertise in biological, physical, chemical and geological oceanography, meteorology, biophysical modeling, wetland ecology and coastal fisheries. Researchers affiliated with the LSU Center for Computation & Technology employ high-performance computing to conduct research in many different fields, including science, mathematics, engineering, business, and digital media.
We seek an interdisciplinary early career scholar with a record of active research and publication in the area of Big Data Oceanography and/or Earth System Science. The position is a tenure-track, joint appointment between the Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences (primary unit) and the Center for Computation & Technology (secondary unit).
Applications are not considered complete unless they include all requested documents.
- 50% Teach courses that emphasize Big Data Oceanography and/or Earth System Science focus areas.
- 30% Develop and maintain a rigorous, externally-funded and independent research program that utilizes information processing, data analytics, artificial intelligence, and/or high performance computing to address problems in oceanography and coastal sciences. Focus areas can include biological, chemical, geological, and/or physical systems.
- 10% Mentor graduate students
- 10% Provide service and advice to state and federal agencies and the University as necessary
Minimum Qualifications: Ph.D. in science field
Preferred Qualifications: Ph.D in Oceanography, Earth Sciences, or a related field.
Specific Experience: Postdoctoral Researcher experience preferred.
Competencies of position include:
- Demonstrate potential to sustain an active research program Proficient
- Strong publication record, commensurate with experience Proficient
- Ability to provide quality mentoring and teaching to undergraduate and graduate students Proficient
Please provide three professional references including name, title, phone and e-mail address. Attach a cover letter, CV, a Statement of Teaching (Other Document 1) and Statement of Research (Other Document 2) must be provided with application. A copy of your transcript(s) attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are are required prior to hire.
Posting Date: October 22, 2020
Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):