MPOWIR steering committee provides guidance and support to the MPOWIR leadership team for the overall success of the mentoring program, and ensures that MPOWIR remains relevant and impactful to its participants and the larger Physical Oceanography community. Specific responsibilities of the steering committee include providing feedback on MPOWIR-related proposals or manuscripts, suggesting individuals to engage with MPOWIR, help recruit mentors/mentees to the program, and foster community support and sponsorship for the program.
The steering committee is composed of 7-8 members, from a broad spectrum of career paths and stages in Physical Oceanography, including students and early career professionals. Each member serves a three year term, with annual opportunities for nominations and community feedback. The committee meets via audio/video conference calls for one hour on a quarterly basis, and shares comments and feedback via email on a regular basis.
- Mona Behl – Georgia Sea Grant (co-chair)
- Colleen Mouw – University of Rhode Island (co-chair)
- Tegan Blaine – Blue Cairn Group (2020)
- Leah Johnson – Brown University (2020)
- Kris Karnauskas – CIRES (2022)
- Emily Lemagie – NOAA PMEL (2022)
- Maddie Smith – University of Washington (2020)
Steering committee membership is for a three year rotating term. Parenthetical year indicates start of term.
Former Committee Members:
- Emanuele Di Lorenzo – Georgia Institute of Technology (2019-2022)
- Erin Hackett – Coastal Carolina University (2019-2022)
- Lisa Beal – Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami (2017-2020)
- Kristin Burkholder – Stonehill College (2017-2020)
- Isabela LeBras – Scripps Institution of Oceanography (2017-2020)
- Baylor Fox-Kemper – Brown University
- Greg Gerbi – Skidmore College