MPOWIR is a community-based program that provides mentoring to physical oceanographers from late graduate school through their early careers. The overall goal of MPOWIR is to make mentoring opportunities for junior physical oceanographers universally available and of higher quality by expanding the reach of mentoring opportunities beyond individual home institutions. The aim is to reduce the barriers to career development for all junior scientists in the field, with a particular focus on improving the retention of junior women.
The MPOWIR effort includes this website, mentor groups, a blog, forums at major meetings and the Pattullo Conference for female early career scientists. Additionally, MPOWIR is engaged in collecting statistics and interviews from past and present U.S. Ph.D. graduates to assess retention rates in the field, as well as to document the success of this effort. To become involved in any aspect of MPOWIR, please contact us.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial and intellectual support of the physical oceanography programs at ONR, NSF, DOE, NOAA and NASA.
- We are collecting nominations for the MPOWIR Steering Committee. Visit http://mpowir.org/about/steering-committee/nominations/ to add your nomination by November 30th.
- The next Webinar webinar is schedule for Monday, December 3rd at 1:00pm EST. Visit http://mpowir.org/get-
involved/webinar-series/to learn more and RSVP.
- We are planning an AGU Social. If you’re interested in joining us, please RSVP: http://mpowir.org/get-involved/national-meeting-events/
- Mark your calendars for September 22-25, 2019 for the next Pattullo Conference. Registration will open in early 2019. Visit http://mpowir.org/get-
involved/pattullo/ to learn more, and sign up to receive updates.
- View and submit Career Profiles: http://mpowir.org/resources/career-profiles/