Software Engineer III Position with the Coastal Marine Modeling Branch in OCS Coast Survey Laboratory
Location: This position will be located at the Coastal Marine Modeling Branch in OCS Coast Survey Laboratory (Silver Spring, MD or Durham, NH).
Application Deadline: This position will be posted until filled.
Term: Regular, no term.
Relocation: No Relocation Assistance is available for this position.
Work Authorization: UCAR|NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
Hiring Range $97,404 – $121,754
Full Salary Range $97,404 – $158,282
Benefits: UCAR affirms its continuing commitment to developing, providing, and administering its employee benefit programs with due consideration for equal employment opportunity and diversity guidelines. UCAR’s rich package of employee benefits includes medical, dental, vision, education assistance, retirement, and life insurance. UCAR offers a variety of programs designed to assist with work-life balance including flexible work alternatives, paid time off and 14 weeks of paid parental leave.
Where You Will Work:
Who we are:
The Cooperative Programs for the Advancement of Earth System Science (CPAESS) serves the Earth system science community in three distinct areas of service. We partner with federal agencies and businesses to hire critical scientific staff enabling a more robust workforce. Through our scientific programs we seek to edify new research with our postdoctoral programs, our visiting scientist and internship programs, along with our interagency support programs. We also help build the Earth system science community by convening and managing summer schools and institutes, conferences, and advisory committees.
What You Will Do:
NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey (OCS), the largest program office within the National Ocean Service, was originally formed by President Thomas Jefferson in 1807. Coast Survey maintains the nation’s nautical charts, surveys the coastal seafloor, responds to national maritime emergencies, develops and evaluates 3-D oceanographic forecast modeling systems for coastal waters, and searches for underwater obstructions and wreckage.
In support of NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey (OCS), this position will work as part of a team on the design and development of cloud-native serverless and/or container-based solutions to support geospatial data processing and management and oceanographic forecast model development and operations. This position will develop functional, performance, and capacity testing tools, and will lead the analysis of test results that will be used to evaluate the correctness and capabilities of system deployments in a cloud environment.
This position will support the NOAA Data Processing and Precision Navigation Dissemination System and the National Ocean Service/Office of Coast Survey’s NOAA nowCOAST GIS web mapping portal (https://nowcoast.noaa.gov) through design, development, testing, implementation, and support of cloud-based data acquisition, processing, ingest, and dissemination software along with supporting cloud infrastructure using modern Agile and DevOps software development practices.
This position will support OCS’ projects to develop, test, and run numerical oceanographic modeling systems on High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters in the cloud using AWS HPC solution components (e.g., AWS ParallelCluster). The position would also assist in developing software to post-process and analyze output from the forecast models using AWS services (e.g., Amazon Athena). The work will be conducted using modern Agile and DevOps software development practices.
This position will be located at the Coastal Marine Modeling Branch in OCS Coast Survey Development Laboratory, with locations in either Silver Spring, Maryland or Durham, New Hampshire.
As part of the DevOps team, lead projects to operate, monitor, and maintain high-reliability cloud-based infrastructure and applications using a variety of software including Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, InfluxDB, and Grafana, and various cloud Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) offerings.
Develop event-based, parallel, distributed geospatial data processing solutions using Amazon Web Services (AWS) Lambda, Step Functions, and/or other cloud-native technologies to ingest and process near-real-time NOAA datasets and develop and operate HPC-required numerical oceanographic forecast modeling systems.
Configure, test, and optimize container-based application deployments for running on scalable cloud-hosted infrastructure using Docker, Kubernetes, and other related software.
Develop software libraries and tools for automating the configuration, deployment, and administration of open-source geospatial web services infrastructure based on PostgreSQL relational database management system, GeoServer, GeoWebCache tiling server, nginx web server, and/or other open-source software packages.
Collaborate on the design and development of front-end web applications using OpenLayers, ReactJS and Material UI for data access and visualization.
Develop automated testing frameworks for evaluating system functionality, performance, capacity, and security compliance using industry-standard testing practices and toolkits.
Integrate software building, testing, and deployment processes with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery pipelines to facilitate rapid but well-tested deployment of new application versions.
What You Will Need:
Education and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science or related discipline and eight to twelve years of experience; or equivalent combination of relevant experience and education.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of core software design, development, testing, and debugging principles.
- Advanced knowledge of source code version control best practices & experience with distributed version control software (e.g., Git).
- Advanced knowledge of and experience developing software for Linux-based computer systems.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and deploying Python scripts, modules, and packages.
- Experience interacting with relational database systems (e.g., PostgreSQL/PostGIS) and writing SQL queries.
- Strong knowledge of web service architecture and experience developing & interacting with RESTful web service endpoints.
- Demonstrated skill in building, deploying, operating, and monitoring containerized applications using cloud-native open-source software including Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, InfluxDB, and Grafana.
- Demonstrated skill in applying basic software development process to computing applications and/or programming problems and an interest in learning new programming languages and cloud tools and services.
- Skill in presentation, negotiation and persuasion.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to convey highly technical concepts to others of various technical backgrounds.
- Ability to prioritize assigned tasks effectively.
DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Experience working with commercial cloud products & services including AWS Lambda, Simple Queue Service (SQS), Elastic File System (EKS), Simple Storage Service (S3), Relational Database Service (RDS), and managing cloud infrastructure using open-source infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g. Terraform).
- Demonstrated skill in designing, conducting, and analyzing results from web application performance tests using Apache JMeter or related software.
- Experience working with web services including web mapping services.
- Experience with OpenLayers, ReactJS and MaterialUI in developing front-end applications.
- Experience with unit testing of object-oriented software.
- Interest in learning about NOAA’s near-real-time meteorological, oceanographic, and hydrographic data and information.
- Pre-employment screenings and background checks are conducted in conjunction with an offer for employment into risk-based positions. This screening may involve verifying or reviewing any of the following relevant information: restricted parties screening, employment verification, education verification, reference checks, verification of professional licenses, certifications, and Motor Vehicle Records. In addition to pre-employment screenings, risked-based positions require a criminal background check and Sex Offender Registry (for positions working with vulnerable populations). UCAR complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- This position is subject to IT system requirements for obtaining access to IT networks and applications. These requirements may include a combination of national security checks, credit checks, fingerprinting, or other security clearance requirements. This position is open to U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders.
- Please note that while the position description details both minimum requirements as well as desired skills and experience, we want to remind applicants that you do not need to have all the desired skills and experience to be considered for this role. If you have the passion for the work along with experience in a related field, you are encouraged to apply. We can provide on-the-job training for the rest.
- For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, here is the link to the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan and to the ODEI landing page.