Scripps Postdoctoral Scholar – 2019
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego in La Jolla, California, invites applications for one or more Institution-wide Postdoctoral positions in any of the major areas of research conducted at Scripps. Scripps Institution of Oceanography is one of the oldest, largest, and most important centers for marine science research in the world. Research at Scripps encompasses physical, chemical, biological, geological, and geophysical studies of the oceans, earth, and atmosphere. Scripps Postdoctoral scholars are expected to interact with existing programs, and candidates are required to contact potential mentors and identify mutual research interests prior to submitting their applications. Research activities at Scripps can be explored by viewing profiles of the Principal Investigators at Scripps (https://scripps.ucsd.edu/people/faculty).
Candidates are required to have a PhD degree completed by December 1, 2019. The PhD must be completed prior to taking up the appointment (due to UC regulations – at appointment start date, you can have a maximum of 3 years postdoctoral experience). The intention of this program is to expose early career postdocs to new research opportunities and the facilities available at SIO/UCSD.
Awards are competitive with a major emphasis on potential for independent, creative research. The Postdoc positions are for one year, and award twelve months of salary with a minimum stipend of $62,000 plus benefits and a one-time research allowance of $5,000. An additional twelve months of support will be granted (subject to satisfactory review), totaling 24 months. Appointees are eligible for health insurance through UC San Diego.
Candidate application materials including a current CV, summary of doctoral dissertation, statement of research, mentor support letter and two confidential letters of recommendation are due by October 12, 2018. Successful candidates are expected to start before December 1, 2019.
For consideration, apply by 10/12/18 at:
For information about the Scripps Postdoctoral Program, Reference Letters, and Mentor Support Letters, go to: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/postdocs/program
UCSD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Summary of Doctoral Dissertation – One page summary (abstract) of your doctoral dissertation.
- Statement of Research – A concise statement describing your research interests (3 page maximum), in particular, those interests you’d like to pursue at Scripps as well as more general career plans and how a postdoc position at Scripps would complement your existing experience.
- Mentor Support Letter 1 – A mentor support letter addresses the mentor’s willingness to serve as a mentor, provides an assessment of the candidate’s training, former work, and suitability for the proposed postdoctoral project and includes access to appropriate facilities.
- Mentor Support Letter 2 – OPTIONAL (if candidate has additional mentor)
- Mentor Support Letter 3 – OPTIONAL (if candidate has additional mentor)
- Contributions to diversity description – Describe research or teaching initiatives that you currently use or plan to use to engage diverse communities in STEM education and research
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 letters of reference required