Environment, Marine, Sciences
Fundy Ocean Research Center for Energy (FORCE)
Halifax City, Nova Scotia
The Fundy Ocean Research Center for Energy (FORCE) is Canada’s lead test site for tidal stream energy, an emerging form of clean energy technology. A key component of FORCE’s mandate is environmental monitoring and stewardship. As tidal stream devices are deployed in the Minas Passage, FORCE is committed to understanding any potential environmental effects and reporting these findings to regulators and the public.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Science Director will:
- Manage all components of the environmental program including environmental effects monitoring, project management, working with advisory committees and regulators, permitting and approvals.
- Support FORCE’s technical research and development program management and implementation.
- Provide guidance and support to data collection, processing and analysis of FORCE’s hydroacoustic based fish monitoring program.
- Develop and maintain research collaborations with local, national, and international scientists in tidal energy research.
- Provide scientific oversight and advocacy in support of FORCE’s research and monitoring programs.
- Manage environmental program support staff including ocean technologists and subcontractors.
- Support stakeholder engagement activities, including presentations and meetings with First Nations, fishers and coastal communities.
- Support the board of directors and FORCE staff to deliver the FORCE mandate.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s or PhD degree in marine environmental science, fisheries biology or a relevant marine field.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
The following characteristics will be considered a strong asset:
- Experience with fisheries acoustics.
- Demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Experience writing grants.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders and building networks.
- Knowledge in occupational health and safety practices.
This is a permanent, full-time position. Compensation will be commensurate with skills and experience. The successful candidate may choose either Parrsboro or Halifax, Nova Scotia, as the primary work location. A valid driver’s license is required; candidates must be willing to travel.
How to Apply:
To ensure your application is reviewed, apply by 4:00PM AST, April 27, 2018. We may review subsequent applications if necessary, until the vacancy is filled. Please email your resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header “Science Director.” FORCE welcomes submissions from all interested parties; only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about this opportunity, please e-mail email@example.com or call Lindsay Bennett at 902-406-1166 ext. 0
ORCE is Canada’s lead test facility for tidal stream energy technology, located in the Bay of Fundy. As a not-for-profit research lab, FORCE collaborates with government, industry, academia and the public to better understand if this technology can play a safe, effective role in Canada’s energy future. Since 2009, FORCE has built the electrical infrastructure to allow in-stream devices to deliver power to the provincial grid, and in partnership with academic and research institutions, invested $15 million in research, monitoring and the Fundy Advanced Sensor Technology program, increasing understanding and scientific knowledge of the Minas Passage. FORCE receives funding support from the Government of Canada, the Province of Nova Scotia, and participating developers.