The Finnish Meteorological Institute is a service and research institute that produces high-quality observational data and research findings on the atmosphere and seas. The Institute uses its expertise to provide services that promote public safety and enhance well-being among people and in the environment.
Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) is seeking a researcher for a fixed time contract at FMI’s Marine Research Unit. The successful candidate will work in the Operational Oceanography group with main duties in the CMEMS BAL MFC service. The main task is developing coupled wave-ice-ocean model for the Baltic Sea based on WAM and NEMO-LIM3 models.
Qualifications – candidates must have
Candidates with a Ph.D. degree in relevant fields (e.g. physical oceanography, meteorology, physics and applied mathematics) will be considered. Furthermore, a successful candidate must meet the following essential criteria:
• Strong background in physical oceanography
• Skilled at oceanographic modelling
• Good publication record
• Fluency in written and spoken English, and willingness to work internationally
• Ability to carry out independent research as well as work as part of a team
Other desirable qualifications are
• Good knowledge of oceanographic forecast systems
• Good communication and interaction skills
• Experience in NEMO or WAM model
• Programming skill with Fortran and Python