Professor & Chair of the Department of Ocean & Earth Sciences Department – ODU
The Department of Ocean and Earth Sciences at Old Dominion University (ODU) seeks highly qualified faculty candidates for Department Chair, starting in May 2023. We seek an accomplished colleague within the broad area of Ocean and Earth Sciences to complement an interdisciplinary faculty and provide ongoing leadership for expanding programs in oceanography, coastal geosciences and climate adaptation. We are interested in candidates using novel and interdisciplinary approaches to tackle the next generation of research challenges.
The successful chair candidate will also be considered for selection as the Endowed Slover Professor of Ocean and Earth Sciences. They will be expected to bring and maintain an externally-funded research program, contribute to teaching and mentoring of graduate students, and provide leadership for departmental and ODU’s interdisciplinary research activities, which include our maritime and sea-level rise programs and the Institute for Coastal Adaptation and Resilience. The Department of Ocean & Earth Sciences has 25 faculty members with multiple strengths across the oceanographic and geoscience disciplines.
Minimum Qualifications – knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Faculty experience at an accredited institution
- Eligible for appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure
- History of scholarly publications and sustained record of funded research, student mentoring and demonstrated experience teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Excellence in interpersonal skills and written communication
- Prior leadership activities in research and academic settings
Minimum Qualifications – Education or training
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Ocean Science, Geoscience, or a related field.
- Prior experience as a department chair
- The ability to promote increases in sponsored research activity among faculty
- The commitment to support activities and partnerships that will advance the reputation of the department college and university.
- Expertise across interdisciplinary areas of ocean sciences that complement current faculty, such as coastal oceanography, ocean observing systems, marine biogeochemistry, coupled human-natural systems, coastal sustainability and environmental data sciences or other oceanographic branches
Special Instructions to Applicants / Additional Materials Required
Applicants should apply online at https://jobs.odu.edu/postings/17278. A complete application package will consist of a cover letter describing the individual’s qualifications for the position, a curriculum vitae, a statement addressing research and leadership, a statement addressing teaching, a diversity and inclusion statement, unofficial graduate transcripts, and the names and contact information for three references. Confidential review of applications will begin December 1, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Questions and nominations for this position can be addressed in confidence to the search committee chair, Dr. Rodger Harvey (email@example.com).