The coastal biogeochemical dynamics Lab at the University of Connecticut invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher with an interest in oxygen dynamics modelling to participate in an NSF-funded project about regional modeling of hypoxia in the Southern Benguela Upwelling System. This position will provide an opportunity to advance the understanding of the complex oxygen and nutrient dynamics through model-driven hypothesis testing. The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of ocean nutrient and oxygen biogeochemistry, expertise in computational methods, and model evaluation. Preference will be given to candidates with experience with Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS). The position will be located at the regional campus at Avery Point working predominately with the laboratories of Samantha Siedlecki and Julie Granger, with opportunities to travel to South Africa to work with colleagues there.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement existing oxygen models within the regional physical model with collaborator from UCT in ROMS using FORTRAN;
- Design and implement nitrogen isotope tracers within the regional physical model with collaborators from UCT in ROMS using FORTRAN, with assistance from PIs.
- Analyze model output and evaluate model performance using existing data;
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present results at national and international conferences.
- Doctoral degree in Oceanography, or a closely related field;
- Experience in biogeochemical model application and analysis;
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Publications related to the minimum qualifications;
- Ability to travel to South Africa;
- Ability to pursue research independently.
- Experience with manipulation of biogeochemical models within ROMS;
- Some experience with running ROMS;
- Demonstrated experience mentoring graduate or undergraduate students
The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of renewal. Salary and benefits are competitive.
Please select “Apply Now” to be redirected to Academic Jobs Online to complete your application. Please upload a one-page statement of research interests,your qualifications for the position, a current CV, and contact information for three referees. Information about the Coastal Biogeochemical Dynamics Lab here: https://samanthasiedlecki.wordpress.com.
It is preferred that applications be received by September 30, 2019.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2019655)
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.