Postdoctoral researcher – NORCE
About the position
A 2-year postdoctoral fellowship position (with a possibility for extension) is available in the research topic multi-ESMs process-based assessment and benchmark for regional downscaling purpose at the biogeochemistry group of NORCE Climate and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research. The Bjerknes Centre is the largest climate research centre in the Scandinavian countries and among the leading centres in Europe.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated climate scientist to work in the joint JPI-Climate and -Oceans project CE2COAST (Downscaling Climate and Ocean Change to Services). The project, involves international and interdisciplinary researchers, aims to deliver observation-driven synthesis of statistical and dynamical downscaling methodology to provide improved process resolution and system representations tailored to regional/coastal domains and their associated pressures/services.
The selected candidate will collaborate with Earth system and regional ocean modelers to
- assess the fidelity of global models in simulating the observed variability in physical and biogeochemical processes at regional and contemporary time scales;
- quantify trends and thresholds of climate and ecological pressures, uncertainty, and systematic bias;
- deliver best-estimate Earth system model projections to be downscaled to determine regional climatic responses to future climate change;
- publish and disseminate results in peer-reviewed journals and other dissemination activities at relevant conferences, seminars, or workshops
- Completed a PhD in oceanic or related Earth system sciences field at the time of appointment;
- Experiences in analyzing large and diverse climate-related data sets, preferably CMIP (Coupled Model Intercomparison Project) ESMs;
- Willing to perform high quality research independently and interactively with external scientists;
- Proficient in analytical methods and software (Python, R, Matlab, etc.);
- Effective oral and written communication skills
Desirable for the job
- A strong track record in peer-reviewed publications
- Intermediate knowledge of climate system dynamics and marine biogeochemistry
- Experience in running Earth system model or regional downscaling model
- Experience in ESMValTool
- Familiar in global and regional climate and ocean biogeochemistry data products
- Experience in emergent constraint analysis
- Experience working in interdisciplinary teams
We can offer
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Career development training
- A competitive salary
- Excellent welfare benefits
- Opportunities for independent project development
- Possibility to influence your own work, worktime and choice of solutions
Your application must include
- A brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information of at least two references
- CV including a list of scientific publications
- Transcripts, diplomas and relevant certificates
- If a PhD has not yet been awarded: An official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
How to apply and application deadline
Please note that the application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded together with your application to the recruitment portal Jobbnorge.
Application deadline: 31st of January 2021
If you have any scientific questions about the position, please contact: Jerry Tjiputra (email@example.com). Questions about the application process can be directed to Senior HR Adviser Monika Voit (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Leave a Reply