Postdoctoral position – North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies
The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) and NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center have a current need for a postdoctoral scholar to support the development of a next generation integrated global surface temperature analysis with a particular emphasis on geospatial interpolation techniques and uncertainty quantification. This Postdoctoral Research Scholar will provide data analysis and scientific programming skills in support of these global surface temperature product development efforts. Primary duties/responsibilities will include:
- Development, evaluation and implementation of techniques to create geospatially complete surface temperature field estimates from incomplete land and ocean observation fields
- Development and deployment of uncertainty quantification estimates on global, regional and local surface temperature estimates and across timescales from monthly to centennial;
- Integration of all surface temperature product activities to facilitate production of next generation global temperature analysis including all available land and ocean observations
- Support the continued development of the Global Temperature Databank and the development of a new state-of-the-art Sea Surface Temperature Analysis
- Fully participate in unit activities and meetings
- Interact with internal and external customers to explain and use new products developed
Ph.D. in environmental statistics, applied statistics, climatology, geography, meteorology, atmospheric or environmental sciences, computer sciences, mathematics, physics, engineering or related Earth sciences field with at least one peer-reviewed publication and experience with large data set analysis.
Demonstrated knowledge of advanced statistical methods for the analysis of geophysical data in the conduct of scientific research, including but not limited to: linear and nonlinear models, time series analysis in the frequency and time-domains, multivariate methods, re-sampling techniques, and Monte Carlo simulation.
Proficiency in developing operational code and computer applications using languages such as FORTRAN, Python, SAS, R, Matlab, etc in an Linux environment or ability to adapt to that environment.
For more information and to apply visit: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/18503