Postdoctoral Associate – RSMAS
The Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) of the University of Miami (UM), Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), invites applications for a Postdoctoral Associate position in Physical Oceanography. The incumbent will work with scientists in the Physical Oceanography Division of the Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory (AOML) of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and with CIMAS scientists.
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral associate with a strong background in the analysis of large-scale and/or time series observations. The successful candidate will join an energetic research team at NOAA/AOML using observations from South and North Atlantic basin-wide moored arrays to study the temporal variability and the meridional coherence of the upper and lower limbs of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC). Changes in the amount of heat and salt carried by the AMOC have a pronounced impact on a variety of socially important climate and weather phenomena, and quantifying and understanding how the AMOC varies in space and time is an important research challenge.
Applicants must have:
- Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography, Atmospheric Science or a related field and a demonstrated ability/interest in publishing results in the peer-reviewed literature.
Highly desirable qualifications include:
- Knowledge of Matlab, time series analysis, and the ability to use ancillary observations and output from numerical models.
- Prior experience with estimating the volume, heat, and/or salt transport by large-scale ocean currents is also desirable, but not required, as is an interest in participating in research cruises.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers. Position #: P100015908
- Application should include curriculum vitae, a cover letter stating research interests and experience, and the contact information for three professional references.
- Selection processes will start from November 1, 2016.
- The positions will be kept open until filled.
- The starting date of the position is expected to be in January 1, 2017, but is negotiable.
- The appointment will be initially one year, renewable for a second year depending on the performance.
- Salary will commensurate with experience.