Post Doctoral Research Associate – SAMS
Fixed term appointment for 3 years
£27,285-£30,688 per annum
One pre-eminent scientific challenge of the 21st Century is to understand the drivers of Earth’s climate. The North Atlantic subpolar ocean is closely coupled to Arctic, European and tropical regions through the atmosphere, and is strongly linked to decadal climate variability.
We seek a Post Doctoral Research Associate to help further develop SAMS expertise in basin scale ocean observation and analysis for climate, with aspirations to become a future leader in the field by contributing to our high-profile international research programmes. The post holder will join an observationally focused team (moorings and gliders) researching the topic of ocean salinity and the hydrological cycle, funded by the £25M UKRI CLASS programme. These observational activities feed directly into the scientific objectives of two EU H2020 programmes: Blue Action (focused on lower latitude drivers of Arctic weather and climate); and ATLAS (understanding physical controls on Atlantic cold water coral ecosystems).
As part of the Physical Oceanography team at SAMS working on the North Atlantic and sub-Arctic oceans you will be well supported within a structured international research environment, and yet with scope to develop your own ideas.
The main duties are:
- Contribute to the preparation, planning and execution of research cruises and glider programme.
- Contribute to the delivery of scientific programme objectives.
- Lead and publish high quality peer-reviewed research.
- Form and maintain national and international relationships and collaborations.
- Travel to national and international meetings to present research findings.
For general enquiries about the position please contact: