Physical Oceanographer / Expedition Scientist at Alfred Wegener Institute
The section Oceanography of the Polar Seas invites applications for the tenure track position of a Physical Oceanographer / Expedition Scientist (m/f/d) to support the operation of our long-term, autonomous observatories in the Polar Seas.
Successful applicants will:
- manage the oceanographic time-series programs on an operational level (under scientific guidance) in the framework of the FRAM and HAFOS observatories
- improve and further develop the measurement strategies for year-round, under-ice observation according to the scientific requests
- join expeditions and be responsible for the acquisition and high-quality processing and documentation of mooring-based and ice-tethered data
- maintain, develop and provide the software for data processing and archiving of time series data
- both compute derived quantities (e.g., volume transport, heat content, energy fluxes) from the mooring data and publish those as derived data products in data journals
- Prepare scientific expeditions including measurement equipment (such as CTD systems)
- work in close cooperation with scientists, including physical oceanographers, numerical modellers, and marine biologists as well as engineers and technicians.
- Master (MSc) degree in physical oceanography, sea ice physics or related fields.
- Extensive experience in marine equipment operation (particularly in high-latitude and ice-covered oceans) and the analysis of sensor-based environmental (preferably marine) data.
- A strong background in high-level programming is required.
- Practical knowledge in the application of statistical methods to be used for the analyses of time series and spatial patterns is desirable.
- You should be open to interacting with an interdisciplinary and international science community and should be willing to participate in research expeditions (typically 2 months per year).
- Very good communication skills in English – both written and oral – are mandatory.
For further information, please contact Prof Dr. Torsten Kanzow (firstname.lastname@example.org, +49(471)4831-2913).
Please submit your application by July 28th 2021, exclusively online. Reference number 21/124/G/Kli-tt. Apply here