Marine Scientist – Integral Consulting Inc.
Junior or Mid-level Marine Scientist
Marine Sciences and Engineering Practice
Santa Cruz, California
You are a marine scientist specializing in physical oceanography, with a keen understanding of waves, hydrodynamics, sediment transport, coastal morphodynamics, and/or ocean acoustics and optics. Through this work, you have gained experience related to oceanographic data synthesis, analysis, and interpretation including frequency- and time-domain signal processing, geospatial analysis, empirical and numerical modeling, and statistical approaches to identify and quantify variability, trends, and change. You enjoy developing, testing, and applying innovative approaches to resolving challenging matters, such as contaminated sediment fate and transport modeling, climate change and coastal impact assessment, and underwater soundscape characterization.
A lifelong learner, you want to keep growing intellectually and professionally. You have strong verbal and written science communication skills, and are effective at conveying complex information to colleagues, stakeholders, and the public. You find excitement in collaborating with colleagues with diverse expertise and are comfortable working independently. Scientific integrity is amongst your strongest principles. You are looking for an employee-owned platform where your ideas are taken seriously and you can influence the future of the Marine Science and Engineering practice and the firm as a whole.
Integral Consulting Inc. (www.integral-corp.com) is an employee-owned firm that provides technical insight, strategy, and project delivery to help our clients move forward in an evolving world. We seek to achieve this mission by creating a business culture of client service, technical excellence, innovation, and collaboration. Equally, we hold ourselves to strong internal commitments to health and safety, sustainability, diversity, mutual respect, collegiality, and the professional development of our staff.
About the Job
We are currently seeking a junior- to mid-level marine scientist for our Marine Science and Engineering practice. The successful candidate will be an experienced individual with superior quantitative skills, who can provide technical skills to support client projects related to ocean acoustic propagation, hydrodynamics and sediment transport, and coastal morphodynamics. The candidate will have rich understanding and varied experience in physical oceanography, and have a high degree of technical competence in ocean data synthesis, processing, and analysis, and numerical modeling. The ability to effectively communicate with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders is highly desirable.
As a Marine Scientist, your job functions will include, but not be limited to:
- Analyzing complex time series and developing statistical approaches to resolve trends
- Supporting development, application, and analysis of numerical hydrodynamic, wave, and sediment transport models
- Supporting and conducting coastal morphodynamic change analysis and modeling
- Conducting geospatial analysis of marine and coastal systems using remote sensing data (satellite or airborne)
Candidates should hold an M.S or Ph.D. degree in oceanography, ocean or coastal engineering, or other marine science field.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 0–5+ years of professional experience
- Proficiency in frequency- and time-domain signal processing
- Expertise in scripting languages such as Python or MATLAB
- Strong quantitative and problem solving skills
- Familiarity with ocean acoustic propagation physics
- Experience with hydrodynamic, wave, and sediment transport models like ROMS, Delft3D, Dflow-FM, SWAN, and WAVEWATCH III
- Capability in translating model outputs and geospatial analyses into ArcGIS
- Experience with oceanographic instrumentation
- Knowledge of marine geology and/or coastal morphodynamics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A desire to grow both intellectually and professionally
- Possess strong organizational abilities
- Ability to work independently and within a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Integral Consulting Inc. provides an exceptional benefits package with company-subsidized insurance, and an exciting work environment with opportunities for significant professional growth. Benefits include partially subsidized medical, vision and dental insurance, 401(k) with a company-match of up to 4% of annual compensation, company-paid life and short- and long-term disability, and paid time off.
All offers of employment are contingent on candidates passing a background screening that includes employment history, criminal background, Federal Watch List, a drug and alcohol screening, and, if applicable, a degree verification. Candidates will receive a written notice of this requirement. All screenings will be done in accordance with all local, state, and federal laws.
We are proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to a proactive program of affirmative action and diversity development.
Integral Consulting Inc. provides equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race; color; religion; gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions); national origin; age; sexual orientation; disability; marital status; military, veteran, or Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act protected veteran status; gender identity or gender expression; or any other category protected by federal, state, and local laws. The “EEO is the Law” poster can be viewed HERE.