Getting the most out of a virtual conference￼
If you joined MPOWIR for our social last week you’ll recognize the suggestions and tips below. Sonya Legg compiled and shared advice on optimizing your experience at a virtual conference. With Ocean Sciences in full swing, take a few moments and see if there are strategies that can help you make the most of your virtual meeting experience!
by Sonya Legg
- Block off your calendar
- Cancel meetings, use out of office email, etc. You are at a conference! Don’t attempt to do double-duty.
- Plan your conference schedule
- Review the meeting schedule, mark the sessions you will attend.
- Don’t forget townhalls, professional development, and JEDI sessions!
- Include meal-times, breaks, exercise, and sleep in your schedule.
- Make arrangements with your family if needed (e.g. evening sessions, difficult time-zones)
- Practice using the online platform.
- Take notes
- Think what works best as you view the conference through your computer screen: screenshots, pen & paper, on your phone.
- Get away from your desk
- Watch the conference in your local seminar room or on your TV or out in your backyard. Get fresh air and/or walk around while listening.
- Attend with others
- Watch sessions of mutual interest together with your local colleagues, discuss what you’ve learned.
- Chat with speakers and poster presenters, attend gathertown coffee, go to the networking events. Make appointments to meet 1-on-1.
- Review notes and recordings, send follow-up emails, arrange virtual meetings to continue conversations
Leave a Reply