Full-time, Temporary Faculty – Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Position Summary & Description
The Geoscience Department at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) invites applicants for an anticipated full-time temporary faculty position beginning in January 2020. The appointment is expected to be renewed on a semester by semester basis through at least May 2021 and possibly longer.
- Teaching major and non-major lectures and labs in oceanography, meteorology, and geology.
- Attending monthly faculty meetings.
- Assisting with departmental service work, and mentoring undergraduate students in research and professional activities.
- The successful candidate may be assigned to perform work at off-campus sites and/or provide instruction through distance education.
- PhD or Master’s degree in a discipline relevant to the area of teaching: Introductory Geology and Oceanography.
- Candidates must communicate effectively and perform well during the interview(s) and possible teaching demonstration(s).
- Applicants who have previous teaching experience at the college-level.
- Applicants interested in mentoring undergraduate research projects.
Academic faculty must have, and maintain the physical and mental abilities, communicative skills, and stamina necessary to carry out the essential functions of their positions in teaching, research, scholarship, and service. Work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve standing to a significant degree, walking for brief periods of time and may include driving requirements.
Faculty must be able to:
- Teach courses assigned by the departmental chair on a schedule made of a combination of standard class-meeting times as determined to meet instructional needs and adhere to the requirements of the department’s curriculum.
- Teach courses for a mandated number of contact hours per week over a full semester and meet university expectations for final exams.
- Present course material in a clear and organized manner using methodologies appropriate to the discipline.
- Evaluate student work fairly and promptly.
- Perform the physical requirements of laboratory, field work, studio work, or other activities outside typical classroom instruction if applicable.
- Maintain current knowledge of the discipline through continued scholarly activity and research.
- Participate actively in assignments necessary to advance the service and/or outreach of the department, college, and university.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for this position, please submit a letter of application, a current curriculum vitae, unofficial copies of transcripts, and the names and email addresses of three references* via our online application system: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/iupedu. Applicants may also choose to submit teaching evaluations, publications, and/or other materials for review.
Applications must be received no later than December 1, 2019 by 11:59 p.m.
Automated reference requests and a confirmation email will be generated upon submission of your application. Candidates who fail to submit all of the aforementioned materials will not be considered.
If the degree listed as required for this position was earned at IUP – no official transcripts are required to be submitted as part of this employment application. IUP HR will verify IUP obtained degrees and only request official transcripts from candidates if needed. Official transcripts will be required prior to hire date for applicants who did not earn the required degrees at IUP.
Committed to excellence through diversity, IUP is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V and is a proud member of the State System of Higher Education.