Fellowship Opportunity – L’Oréal USA
The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program is a national awards program that annually recognizes and rewards five U.S.-based women researchers at the beginning of their scientific careers. Recipients receive up to $60,000 each that they must put towards their postdoctoral research. The program’s partner, AAAS, manages the peer-review process.
Launched in 2003 as the U.S. Fellowships component of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Fellowship program, the program aim to:
- Raise awareness of the contribution of women to the sciences
- Identify exceptional female researchers in the U.S. to serve as role models for younger generations
An inter-disciplinary panel of scientists reviews all applications submitted. The top candidates chosen by the review panel are then forwarded for final selection to a distinguished Jury of career scientists and former North American L’ORÉAL-UNESCO For Women in Science Laureates. The Jury seeks candidates with exceptional academic records and intellectual merit, clearly articulated research proposals with the potential for scientific advancement and outstanding letters of recommendation from advisers. New to the program this year, applicants will also be evaluated in part on their commitment to supporting women and girls in science.
The US For Women in Science eligibility criteria:
- Must have completed their Ph.D. and have started in their postdoctoral position by September 1, 2014. They must also maintain that status throughout the Fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science and mathematics
- Cannot be in a faculty position
- Must commit to at least ten hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
The 2014 L’Oréal USA for Women in Science applications are accepted until May 19th. Winners will be announced in September 2014 and the award ceremony will take place in November in Washington, D.C.
For more information and to apply visit: http://www.lorealusa.com/Foundation/Article.aspx?topcode=Foundation_AccessibleScience_Fellowships