Coastal Ocean Modeler – Jupiter
Coastal Ocean Modeler – Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography or related field. Experience with the Rutgers ROMS or Princeton’s POM. San Mateo, Boulder, or NY City
Jupiter provides data and analytics services to customers to better predict and manage risks from naturally occurring disasters and effects of climate change across the globe. Our company is comprised of a dynamic team of experienced executives, successful entrepreneurs, and world-class scientists and engineers. Together, we will help customers utilize Jupiter’s solutions in an effort to make the world a better, safer place. Come be a part of our exciting journey! Salary commensurate with experience.
Jupiter seeks to fill a position with its FloodScore inland and coastal ocean modeling team. The Flood team focuses on developing high-resolution, large-scale hydrodynamic and hydrology/hydraulic flood model applications using the FloodScore Operations Modeling System. The System is a next generation, physically-based application that delivers hyperlocal probabilistic hydrodynamic forecasts over a five-day horizon. The new hire would be part of the Flood team developing, refining, applying and analyzing results from the FloodScore modeling system.
Dues and Responsibilities
- Contribute to building comprehensive hydrodynamic and hydraulic modeling systems for urban corridors worldwide
- Find, curate, and adapt data sets from a variety of sources
- Couple multi‑scale climate, weather, coastal and hydrologic models
- Execute models efficiently, and ensure the results are sound
- Calibrate and validate models as required
- Contribute to reports and presentations
- Pre‑process high‑resolution data including atmospheric and ocean data sets
- Post‑process output from hydrodynamic models for input to other models
- Travel Requirements : Occasional travel may be required
Minimum qualifications include:
- Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography or related field
- Three to five years of experience in numerical modeling and/or data analysis
- Experience with the Rutgers ROMS or Princeton’s POM, or similar wetting and drying coastal hyrododynamic model
- Knowledge of calibra on and valida on on coastal ocean and/or estuarine circula on models using rigorous statistical methodologies.
- Strong coding, debugging, and scientific visualization skills in FORTRAN, Python, or other similar languages in a Linux OS environment
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics
- Self‑motivated; able to work in a fast‑paced environment, and with other team members with different scientific and technical backgrounds
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Additional desirable qualifications:
- Knowledge of open‑source GIS software such as QGIS
- Knowledge of commercial cloud computing environments
- Experience working with one or more MPI stacks
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to us to see if there might be a great fit.