Australian National University – Software Engineer
The ANU Research School of Earth Sciences is Australia’s leading academic research institution for Earth sciences, home to the largest concentration of Earth scientists in Australia. Our cutting-edge research is led by our academic staff, and provides an unparalleled environment for high-quality research training of our graduate students. Our people and facilities are also the foundation for our vision to deliver world-class research-led undergraduate teaching in the Earth sciences.
Based within the Climate and Fluid Physics group in the department of Climate and Ocean Geoscience, this position is fully funded by the Consortium for Ocean-Sea Ice Modelling in Australia (COSIMA). COSIMA is a nationwide consortium which has a large user base exceeding 60 scientists. The Software Engineer will provide the technical expertise to support COSIMA’s computational research and scientific software development. The main responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- provide significant input into the design, evaluation, and implementation of new software in the areas of ocean-sea ice modelling;
- support the development, testing, optimisation and maintenance of computational ocean-sea ice models running on high-performance parallel computing platforms;
- create and maintain documentation of software developed by COSIMA;
- train and mentor other members of the team, research students and staff within the School in numerical and computational approaches.
To excel in this role, you will have working experience with at least two scientific programming languages (e.g. Fortran, C, Python), data formats (netCDF), code optimisation, scripting, advanced visualisation techniques, high performance computing environments, distributed software development (github) and parallel programming (MPI), as well as demonstrated:
- experience in gathering requirements and building software to meet user needs;
- experience in working independently with minimal supervision, with an ability to understand code written by others quickly and self-sufficiently;
- ability to work effectively and harmoniously as part of a team, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills to relate effectively and provide guidance to a wide range of people.
The Australian National University is a world-leading institution and provides a range of lifestyle, financial and non-financial rewards and programs to support staff in maintaining a healthy work/life balance whilst encouraging success in reaching their full career potential. For more information, please click here.
For more information about the position please contact Professor Andrew Hogg on T: +61 (02) 61259962 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANU Values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. Candidates who will add to the diversity of the COSIMA community, including people with a disability, are encouraged to apply. Flexible and working from home arrangements are available for this position. For more information about staff equity at ANU, click here.
In order to apply for his role, please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria, and
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note: The successful applicant must have rights to live and work in this country.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
Learn more and apply: https://jobs.anu.edu.au/cw/en/job/542101/software-engineer