Assistant Scientist position – RSMAS
The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine, Atmospheric, and Earth Science (Rosenstiel) and Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Assistant Scientist position in the study of the carbon cycle and climate.
This position is situated within the Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine, Atmospheric, and Earth Science (Rosenstiel). The work will involve close collaboration with scientists at NOAA’s Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory (AOML), where the applicant will be physically stationed. The principal objective of the position is to develop methods to create and assess air-sea CO2 flux maps with the goal of producing an operational product.
The incumbent is expected to develop and function as an independent scientist under the mentoring of more established scientists in the lab.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- utilizing oceanographic observations as well as ocean model output to create an operational product to determine ocean carbon uptake,
- developing the necessary procedures for incorporating observational data in the product,
- presenting research findings at scientific meetings,
- publishing scientific results in peer-reviewed journals, and
- seeking external collaborations and funding in collaboration with scientists at the lab.
- The successful applicant should possess at minimum, a Ph.D. in oceanography, atmospheric science, or a related physical science.
- The incumbent must have at least 1 year of relevant Post-Doctoral research experience. work and demonstrated ability in publishing results in the peer-reviewed literature.
- Other highly desired qualifications include knowledge of Matlab or Python, and experience with utilizing in situ observations in machine learning approaches and comparing with output from numerical models.
- Prior experience with utilizing machine learning and modelling approaches to create products.
- The candidate will have demonstrated the ability to develop research ideas.
- Interest in upholding diversity and inclusion principles in the workplace .
- Furthering STEM and STEAM objectives.
- Strong communication skills.