Assistant Policy Officer – European Polar Board
The European Polar Board (EPB) is an independent European Organization of Directors and Managers of the major European National Polar Programmes. It was established in 1995 by the European Science Foundation as a strategic advisory body on Polar Science. It is concerned with major strategic priorities in the Arctic and Antarctic and has members from national operators and research institutes in 17 countries. The EPB is hosted with the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), which is one of the largest science-funding bodies in the Netherlands and ensures quality and innovation in science. The EPB Secretariat is based with the NWO – ALW department. The NWO – ALW (Earth and life sciences) department covers all aspects of life on earth such as the complex and dynamic processes in solid earth, the oceans, the atmosphere, the natural world and organisms, including humans. The processes concerned occur at timescales ranging from tens of millions of years in geology to nanoseconds in cell biochemistry. For further information on each of these please visit:
The website of the European Polar Board.
The website of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
The website of NWO – ALW (Earth and life sciences) department
The tasks are:
- Policy: Assist with creating / editing both internal and external policy documents for the newly registered EPB legal entity;
- Communications: Setting up and maintaining a news list, creating a template newsletter using available automated mail managers as appropriate; working with the Executive Secretary on communications, including news articles, updates, etc., as appropriate;
- Administration: Working with EPB Members and groups to achieve appropriate objectives and goals, including arranging meetings, taking meeting notes and preparing meeting reports; Assist with setting up administration processes for EPB’s new legal entity, including for finances;
- Other: Any general administrative tasks or any other tasks as required on a daily basis.
The Assistant Policy Officer we are looking for:
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of Polar Science, or International Law or policy with a specialisation in a polar subject;
- Detailed knowledge of both National and International Polar (Arctic and Antarctic) Institutions / Organisations in Europe and worldwide;
- Demonstrable experience of drafting policy or other formal documents, reports;
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, both spoken and written;
- Experience with both formal and informal communication, including social media;
- Capable of working independently, and as a part of a very small team.
- PhD in any area of polar science, polar law, polar or international policy
- Some experience in handling finances of a small non-profit society, company or organisation
- Knowledge of European languages other than English
For further information about the position, please contact Renuka Badhe at r.badhe [@] nwo.nl or via telephone +31(0)703494403. More information about EPB can be found at www.europeanpolarboard.org. More information about NWO can be found at www.nwo.nl/eng
If you wish to apply for the position please visit our website and apply via the “apply button”. Applications should explain relevant experience, include a detailed CV and the names of two referees. The new Assistant Policy Officer will be expected to start in August 2016.
The successful candidate will be employed by NWO-ALW and will work for the EPB.
The employment of this position as an assistant/Policy Officer will be for a period of one year at 80% (4 days a week). The salary will be in accordance with the salary scales of NWO and will depend on education and relevant experience. NWO has good secondary employment conditions including at least 42 days of vacation leave a year (for a full-time equivalent position).
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a written assessment exercise, and a competency-based interview. In accordance with Dutch employment rules, candidates from outside the EU will be considered if there are no suitable applications from candidates within the Netherlands or other EU countries.
For more information and to apply visit: https://jobs.nwo.nl/vacancies/assistant-policy-officer-269833.html
Leave a Reply