Title: Assistant or Associate Professor (Oceanography)
Position Number: 0086000
Hiring Unit: Department of Oceanography, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology
Location: Manoa Campus
Date Posted: December 27, 2018
Closing Date: Continuous – application review begins February 15, 2019
Salary Information: I3M11/I4M11, competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience
Monthly Type: 11 Month
Tenure Track: Tenure
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Other Conditions: Nine-month equivalent (.82 FTE) funds provided. The selectee is expected to fund the remainder through extramural funds. Anticipated start date is July 1, 2019, subject to position clearance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST) was established at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa to promote excellence in interdisciplinary research and undergraduate/graduate education in marine, atmospheric, and geological sciences. The Department of Oceanography within SOEST is inviting applications for a tenure-track faculty position in climate dynamics in relation to ocean physics.
- We seek applicants at the assistant/associate professor level with expertise and research experience in climate dynamics and ocean physics. Areas of interest include, but not limited to: The role of the ocean in past, present and future climate; coupled ocean-atmosphere system; and climate dynamics, with focus on observations and/or numerical modeling.
- The successful candidate will excel in research, teaching, and their integration, develop extramurally funded research programs, interact with colleagues in Atmospheric Sciences, the International Pacific Research Center and across the Department of Oceanography and SOEST, and teach mentor and supervisor students in the undergraduate Global Environmental Science and graduate Oceanography programs.
Assistant Professor Minimum Qualifications
- Ph.D. (at the time of appointment) in oceanography, climate sciences, or another relevant discipline.
- Expertise and research experience in climate dynamics and ocean physics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated capability for creative, high-quality research.
- Ability and interest to teach and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
Associate Professor Minimum Qualifications
- In addition to the previously stated minimum qualifications for the Assistant level, at least four years of college/university teaching at the rank of assistant professor or equivalent, with increasing professional maturity.
Submit electronic versions of three representative publications and a single electronic file (in pdf format) containing: (1) cover letter; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) a statement of research and teaching interests; and (4) names and contact information for five references. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Bo Qiu, Search Committee Chair; email@example.com
More information about the department can be found at http://ocean.hawaii.edu