MPOWIR is a community-based program that provides mentoring to physical oceanographers from late graduate school through their early careers. The overall goal of MPOWIR is to make mentoring opportunities for junior physical oceanographers universally available and of higher quality by expanding the reach of mentoring opportunities beyond individual home institutions. The aim is to reduce the barriers to career development for all junior scientists in the field, with a particular focus on improving the retention of junior women.
The MPOWIR effort includes this website, mentor groups, a blog, forums at major meetings and the Pattullo Conference for female early career scientists. Additionally, MPOWIR is engaged in collecting statistics and interviews from past and present U.S. Ph.D. graduates to assess retention rates in the field, as well as to document the success of this effort. To become involved in any aspect of MPOWIR, please contact us.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial and intellectual support of the physical oceanography programs at ONR, NSF, DOE, NOAA and NASA.
- Town Hall at Ocean Sciences: ‘Making the Most of Mentoring Relationships’, Monday, February 12th from 12:45pm- 01:45pm, Oregon Convention Center – D137-D138 https://agu.confex.com/agu/os18/meetingapp.cgi/Session/31436
Lunch will be provided on a first come basis.
- LGBTQ Social: All LGBTQ oceanographers and allies are welcome to attend a social event in Portland on Wednesday, February 14th from 7:00pm-9:00pm, location to be announced. Come meet your peers and build community! Please RSVP below so we can plan for attendance and send you updates. Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MPOWIR Social: Thursday, February 15th from 6:00pm-8:00pm at Produce Row Cafe. Open to all past and current participants and senior scientists involved in MPOWIR activities – come and reconnect! Please RSVP via the link below so we are best able to plan for attendance. https://goo.gl/sU1DUQ
- NASA MPOWIR Speaker Series: Explore career opportunities at NASA, visit the Jet Propulsion Laboratory or Goddard Space Flight Center, present your research, and network with NASA scientists. http://mpowir.org/get-involved/nasa-speaker-series/
- View and submit Career Profiles: http://mpowir.org/resources/career-profiles/